It should probably go without saying that we’re huge fans of the 80’s. Go figure, right? Between the piercing sounds of synthesizer music, the metric tons of hairspray, the brick-sized cellular phones, and Max Headroom, it was an era where society went over the top on practically everything. So when we found out that Free Play Arlington was going to host BOTH a 1980’s themed Christmas Party AND a End of the World Christmas Party, how could we, the DFW Ghostbusters, NOT try to get in on the action?
I mean, come on! Can you honestly think of “1980’s” and “End of the World” and NOT think “Ghostbusters?”
That being said, we invite you to join us on Saturday, December 16th, at Free Play Arlington (400 E. South St., Arlington, TX) for what they’re calling “an absurd, over-the-top celebration that could only happen in the beautiful decade of excess – the 1980s! Taking cues from every major 80s holiday TV special, it’s time for Free Play to throw the most insane holiday extravaganza Downtown Arlington has ever seen. We’re partying like it’s the end of the world!”
From 11:00am to 6:00pm, their parking lot will be turned into a MASSIVE winter wonderland, with a huge ice skating rink, 50,000 pounds of snow, and hot chocolate. Then the party moves inside with a two-hour set from Freedom – A George Michael Legacy at 8:00pm, and a special retro holiday mix from DJ Terminator Mike B at 11:00pm.
Throughout the day, they’ll have door prizes/presents from evil corporate sponsors; holiday-themed drink specials; holiday-themed arcade and console games; an absurd amount of holiday decor; and the Naughty or Nice Present Wheel.
- THERE IS NO SPECIAL COVER OR TICKET FOR THIS EVENT! Just the normal arcade admission ($10 + tax)!
- Skating will be available from 11:00am to 5:00pm and will cost $1 (includes skate rental). Skaters will have to fill out a very simple waiver.
- From 5:00pm until 6:30pm, there will be the inaugural Free Play Celebrity Pro/Am Broomball Tournament benefiting Toys for Tots.
- Unless we’re all extremely lucky, the snow will melt over the course of the day. For best results, come early.
- A curfew will go into effect at 8:00pm. You must be 21+ to party with us after 8:00pm.
- This is an “End of the World” themed Holiday Party. You are encouraged to wear whatever you’d wear if the world was ending at the end of the party. Suits, ball gowns, tuxedos, pajamas, weird alien-welcoming attire from that scene in ID4, costumes, whatever. (Still though, no nudity.)
- You will receive a spin of the Naughty or Nice Present Wheel for every $5 you spend at the bar until 7:00pm. “Prizes” will include retro memorabilia, Free Play swag, coal, and evil corporate gifts.
For more details and announcements, RSVP to the Facebook Event Page here, and we look forward to seeing you there!